Monday, October 8, 2012

SUE WATKINS: OVER-THE-HILL BIKER BRIDE - SUE & RUSS' FIRST INTERVIEW

Several years ago a friend of mine called to say she ‘met a man’. I was so thrilled for her, since she’d been a widow for a long time. A year later I went to her wedding and SUE WATKINS: OVER THE HILL BIKER BRIDE was born. I am pleased to say my dear friend, the original biker bride is still married to her biker groom and they’re very happy.

SUE’S FIRST INTERVIEW

1.)    You’ve been a widow for several years. How did you feel when Russ sent a drink over to your table? I was surprised, to say the lease. I mean he’s only a few years older than my oldest son. Even more surprising was when he joined my son Danny and me at the movies on Saturday afternoon and took us out to supper.
2.)    Russ is so different from your first husband. Do you really think you can be attracted to him? It’s hard not to be attracted to him. Of course, I have Danny to think about. The best part is Danny and Russ are becoming great friends. I don’t know how I could even think of not being attracted to him.
3.)    When you got cut doing dishes, it was Russ who kept his head and got you to the hospital. Did it bother you to give up control of your life? Yes, it did. Only minutes earlier we were talking about Russ moving out to the farm to be closer to Danny and me. To my surprise it was my former mother-in-law, Lillian, who suggested the move. Russ’ apartment building has been sold so he has to move somewhere in the next sixty days. I have to admit, I do enjoy his pampering.

RUSS’ FIRST INTERVIEW

1.)    Have you completely lost your mind? Sue Watkins is almost old enough to be your mother and she has a handicapped son to boot. You could have your choice of any woman in town. Why are you so interested in Sue? What you don’t understand is that I’ve done the trophy wife thing and what did it get me? She left me for a guy she met on the Internet and took me for everything I had. I’m lucky I was able to keep my bike. Sue is special. I knew it the first time I saw her at the bowling alley. As for her son, Danny he's a child in a man’s body. I’ve found when it’s one on one between the two of us, he’s more mature than people give him credit for. It must be terrible to know you were perfectly normal before the accident that left himyou handicapped and now to know the friends you once had have grown up without him and have left him behind and alone.
2.)    How did your move to Sue’s place come about? I came home on Friday night and found a note slipped under my door. It said my building had been sold and I had sixty days to move. I’ve been thinking about buying a house for Sue, Danny and me, but I knew we couldn’t talk about it until Sunday when we’re alone. I guess I was muttering about it when Danny and I were fishing. He was the one to drop the bombshell, then Sue’s mother-in-law, Lillian, suggested I move out to the farm. She says it would be perfectly proper, since Sue is so old she’s not interested in sex. I have to say, that’s not the vibe I’m getting from her.
3.)    It seems like you’ve completely taken over the running of Sue’s life. How did that come about? Sue was doing the dishes after our picnic lunch and she cut her hand on the blade for the food processor. I got her to the hospital and they put in eighteen stitches and insisted she not work for at least a week. Once I heard that, I called my friends in Door County and arranged for the three of us to take a vacation. From everything I’ve heard, Sue is such a hard worker she hasn’t taken any time for herself in years. I hope this trip will be good for both Sue and Danny.
www.derr-wille.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I love character interviews. They are always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The imagination is a wonderful, infinite source, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not this book is based on a true story. The real Sue Watkins is my lifelong friend Sandra Petersen-Fenrick-Heasty.

      Delete